The compounds were built from 1903 to house the migrant workers. They were closed compounds and up to 15000 were housed here. They remained in operation until 1973 when a new hostel was built. They have largely gone into decay. These compounds have played a significant part of the mines history. It is imperative that these compounds be saved and for research to be carried out about the workers who lived and worked here.
The history of these workers is largely untapped and there is a massive story to be told. This is one area that must be listed and preserved.
Compound about 1905
Workers in compound about 1950
Compound in the foreground about 1960
Entrance to one of the compounds today
Thought to be the detention centre
Various views of the compounds today
Fountain built by Italian POWs near the compounds about 1942