McHardy House

 

 

Built for the first General Manager of the Mine in 1903. Two of his daughters lived in this house until 1984 and were aged 94 and 98 respectively when they died within a few days of each other. Shortly after there deaths Premier Diamond Mine bought the contents of the house from the McHardy estate and the house was turned into a museum. The house was turned into a museum under the guidance of the Museums Association at that time. The house is on mining ground as such belongs to Cullinan Diamond Mine. The Museum is operated and curated by the Cullinan Heritage Society.

 

 

 

House about 1910

 

 

 

 

 

House before 1908

 

 

 

 

McHardy House about 1980

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

McHardy House today

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Related Links

Written by John Lincoln Sunday, 30 October 2016 Posted in Buildings and Places of Historical Significance

Leave a comment

You are commenting as guest.