The Building now used as the Information shop as well as the Lemon Tree Restaurant is believed to have been the house that Fred Wells lived in until his death in 1915. The house would have been built about 1905. Fred Wells found the Cullinan Diamond in January 1905. The diamond is the largest diamond ever found at 3106 carats. The two largest stones are in the crown jewels.
The house that houses the tour guides was originally the Nederlands Bank until about 1908. The bank then moved to its present premises at the upper end of Oak Ave. After the bank moved the house was then used as a magistrate’s office.
Picture with Directors House, McHardy House, the bank and the present day information shop.
The house thought to be the residence of Fred Wells
Tour guide premises as Nederlandse Bank about 1906