When the mine was opened in 1903, most of the workers were from Britain or were English speaking. When the school was opened the second language was French. Only when the local Afrikaans speaking people started to move onto the mines workforce the need for a school for their children was opened. This was opened in 1928. The school is still used, but is now dual medium.